Book Title: Sweet Potato Soul: 100 Easy Vegan Recipes for the Southern Flavors of Smoke, Sugar, Spice, and Soul
Author: Jenne Claiborne
- Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean, and Southern Flavors Remixed
- Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine
- Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face
- Vegan 100: Over 100 Incredible Recipes from Avant-Garde Vegan
- Black Girl Baking: Wholesome Recipes Inspired by a Soulful Upbringing
- Modern Vegan Baking: The Ultimate Resource for Sweet and Savory Baked Goods
- By Any Greens Necessary: A Revolutionary Guide for Black Women Who Want to Eat Great, Get Healthy, Lose Weight, and Look Phat
- Vegan Burgers & Burritos: Easy and Delicious Whole Food Recipes for the Everyday Cook
- The Edgy Veg: 138 Carnivore-Approved Vegan Recipes
- Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan
Jenné Claiborne grew up in Atlanta eating classic Soul Food--fluffy biscuits, smoky sausage, Nana's sweet potato pie--but thought she'd have to give all that up when she went vegan. As a chef, she instead spent years tweaking and experimenting to infuse plant-based, life-giving, glow-worthy foods with the flavor and depth that feeds the soul.
The result? Her first cookbook, SWEET POTATO SOUL, offering 100 vegan recipes that riff on Southern cooking in surprising and delicious ways, beautifully illustrated with full-color photography. Jenné revives the long tradition of using fresh, local ingredients creatively in dishes like Coconut Collard Salad and Fried Cauliflower Chicken. She improvises new flavors in Peach Date BBQ Jackfruit Sliders and Sweet Potato-Tahini Cookies. She celebrates the plant-based roots of the cuisine in Bootylicious Gumbo and savory-sweet Georgia Watermelon & Peach Salad. And she updates classics with Jalapeño Hush Puppies, and her favorite, Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls.
Along the way, Jenné explores the narratives surrounding iconic and beloved soul food recipes, as well as their innate nutritional benefits--you've heard that dandelion, mustard, and turnip greens, okra, and black eyed peas are nutrition superstars, but here's how to make them super tasty, too.
From decadent pound cakes and ginger-kissed fruit cobblers to smokey collard greens, amazing crabcakes and the most comforting sweet potato pie you'll ever taste, these better-than-the-original takes on crave-worthy dishes are good for your health, heart, and soul.